About Mary Hubley
Mary Hubley is an award-winning contemporary artist. Her landscapes are dramatic yet soft, with rich colors and soft edges.
Mary is influenced by beautiful places she’s visited throughout North America, Asia, and Europe. She grew up in a family of artists and worked for many years doing corporate illustration. Profiled in the “Best of America Artists” books, she gives classes and workshops, does frequent plein air painting, and sells her work through prominent art galleries. She was recently given the honor of receiving first place in a Smithsonian Institution WaterWays exhibition.
“My art explores the whispers of nature fused with a soft yet strong composition.
Every day, that means experiencing the soul of beach, birds, and people who surround me on my Florida island. Painting allows me to feel the world in depth. I seek all its nuances and hues and try to translate them into the canvas.
Seeing — really seeing, rather than just looking, means you’re living fully alive.”
To see her work, please stop by.
Lagerquist Gallery . Atlanta
690 Miami Cir NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Camellia Art . Hilton Head
1 Office Way
Hilton Head, SC
Thornebrook Gallery . Gainesville, FL
2441-6D NW 43rd Street
Hubley Gallery . St. Augustine
804D Anastasia Blvd.
St. Augustine, Florida
- 2017 – St. Augustine Beaches News Journal, “Mary Hubley Introduces Small Works Exhibit”.
- 2016 – Compass Magazine, 2-page interview feature, “Artist Left Corporate America to Live in the Sun“
- 2016 – St. Augustine Record, Cover feature, “Artists Document National Parks’ Beauty on Canvas”
- 2015 – Cycle Here Media, Video promo, “Historic Coast Culture: Visual Arts” showing Mary Hubley’s art class painting in the studio and plein air at the beach.
- 2015 – Cycle Here Media, Video promo, “Historic Coast Culture: Neighborhoods” showing a snippet of Mary doing a demo in front of a class.
- 2015 – Compass Magazine, “Get Creative with artist Mary Hubley”
- 2015 – St. Augustine Record, showcased art “Life in St Augustine”
- 2012 – Arbus magazine, Showcased art
- 2012 – Best of America Oil Artists, full page feature (Kennedy Publishing, 2012)
- 2011 – The Art of Business, Featured artist
- 2011 – International Dictionary of Artists, Featured Artist (World Wide Art Books)
- 2010 – Best of the Best Artists, full page feature (Kennedy Publishing, 2010)
- 2007 and 2009 – ABC-TV’s “Wife Swap” TV Series, featured set background paintings
Select Exhibits – Plein Air – Honors – Events:
- 2017 -St. Augustine Plein Air paintout, Impressions of the Flagler Era, Honorable Mention. < See write-up in Outdoor Painter >
- 2017 – Flagler Beach paintout, 1st place
- 2016 – International Plein Air Paint-Out
- 2016 – Plein Air Flagler exhibit at the Flagler County Art League
- 2016 – Smithsonian Institution’s Water/Ways Plein Air Paintout, 1st place
- 2016 – Find Your park Plein Air, St. Augustine, FL, gave the paintout’s plein air workshop demo
- 2016 – Flagler Beach Paintout, 2nd place
- 2016 – Wekiva Island Paintout, Quick Draw Event
- 2015 – Oil Painters of America Plein Air Paintout & Exhibit, Galleria Del Mar, St. Augustine, FL
- 2014 – Current – The Art Studio, St. Augustine Beach various shows
- 2013 – 16 – Romanza on Aviles Paintout
- 2013 – 15 – GNG Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2012 – 17 – Tim’s Wine Market, St. Augustine, FL, Three Solo Exhibits
- 2012 – Blue Water Jewelers, St. Augustine, FL, Solo Exhibit
- 2011 – St. Johns County Chamber of Commerce, “The Art of Business”
- 2010 – Beaches Gallery Tour, Jacksonville Beach, FL
- 2010 – Schultz Center for Teaching & Leadership, Jacksonville, FL exhibit
- 2010 – Artistry at Belks
- 2009 – 13 – Fairfax Gallery Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra, FL
- 2009 – Jacksonville Symphony Guild Designer Showcase
- 2009 – The Art League of Daytona Beach, Daytona, FL, “Florida Seen” Five-person exhibit
- 2008 – 09 – Cousart Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – 14 – 130 King Fine Art Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – 08 – Holborn Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – Pen Women art exhibition, St. Augustine, FL
- 2006 – 2017 – First Street Gallery, Neptune Beach, FL
- 2006 – 2016 – Fairfax Gallery, Jacksonville, FL
- 2001 – current – St. Augustine Art Association, FL, various shows
“I look for wild places, energy, color, and light. I study beach rocks, seashells, and pond ripples. I can practically feel the vibrations emanating from the objects of nature, and I try to tap into their secret energy.”
- Anastasia Plein Air, Founding Member
- Flagler Plein Air
- Oil Painters of America
- Plein Air Florida
- St. Augustine Art Association
- The Beaches Art Studio, St. Augustine Beach
- Past president, St. Augustine Pen Women
- Thomas Edison State University, BA Humanities, Concentration in fine art and writing.
- Served 2 years on Thomas Edison’s portfolio advisory board.
Related Work Experience:
- Product Licensing illustration/design 1999-current
- Bluefish Bay Publishing, book illustrator 1999-2006
- McGraw-Hill Books & Gartner Group, director, managing editor/analyst 1990-2008
- RCA Corp. and GE Corp, publication illustrator/editor 1980-1990
- Freelance advertising illustrator 1985-1990