About Mary Hubley
When I was a little girl, I lived part-time at the Jersey shore at my grandmother’s hotel just a block from the beach. My father was an avid deep sea fisherman, and I spent as much time scraping old paint off his wooden boat as I did building sandcastles at the beach. Mom was more grounded; she was a landscape painter who painted scenes of lighthouses, fishing boats, and beaches. I grew up painting this coastal world – the splashing of gentle waves, the savory taste of salt water on my lips, and the spicy scent of misty night air. The coast is deep in my blood. Painting the coast has always been my passion.
Mary Hubley is an award-winning coastal artist. Her beach and marsh landscapes are dramatic yet soft, with rich colors and soft edges.
I am all about breathing salt air and seashells into my paintings. I paint marshes, sandy children, and beach trucks weighed down by red and blue surfboards. I live on a Florida island where there is a never-ending source of salt water reference. I’ve traveled throughout North America, Asia, and Europe, where I’m incessantly drawn to painting their coastal locales.
I spent many years doing corporate art and book illustration. Profiled in the “Best of America Artists” books, I give classes and workshops, do frequent plein air painting, and sell my work through prominent art galleries. I was recently honored by receiving first place in a Smithsonian Institution WaterWays exhibition.
“My art explores the whispers of the coastal salt air fused with a soft yet strong composition.
Every day, that means experiencing the soul of beach, birds, and people who surround me on my Florida island. Painting allows me to feel the world in depth. I’m excited about the beach and marsh nuances and translating them into the canvas.
I paint every day, and it seems there’s just not enough time to paint all my ideas. I’m always experimenting from painting to painting, and I translate the world in different ways, depending on the moment. I constantly move between realistic and semi-abstract, which for me is the same thing; the only difference being how I feel about the subject on that day.”
To see her work, please stop by.
Lagerquist Gallery . Atlanta
690 Miami Cir NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Camellia Art . Hilton Head
1 Office Way
Hilton Head, SC
Thornebrook Gallery . Gainesville, FL
2441-6D NW 43rd Street
Hubley Gallery . St. Augustine
804D Anastasia Blvd.
St. Augustine, Florida
- 2017 – St. Augustine Tonight Show interview with Jorge Rivera (to see mary’s interview, go to minute 34:41 on linked video).
- 2017 – St. Augustine Beaches News Journal, “Mary Hubley Introduces Small Works Exhibit”.
- 2016 – Compass Magazine, 2-page interview feature, “Artist Left Corporate America to Live in the Sun“
- 2016 – St. Augustine Record, Cover feature, “Artists Document National Parks’ Beauty on Canvas”
- 2015 – Cycle Here Media, Video promo, “Historic Coast Culture: Visual Arts” showing Mary Hubley’s art class painting in the studio and plein air at the beach.
- 2015 – Cycle Here Media, Video promo, “Historic Coast Culture: Neighborhoods” showing a snippet of Mary doing a demo in front of a class.
- 2015 – Compass Magazine, “Get Creative with artist Mary Hubley”
- 2015 – St. Augustine Record, showcased art “Life in St Augustine”
- 2012 – Arbus magazine, Showcased art
- 2012 – Best of America Oil Artists, full page feature (Kennedy Publishing, 2012)
- 2011 – The Art of Business, Featured artist
- 2011 – International Dictionary of Artists, Featured Artist (World Wide Art Books)
- 2010 – Best of the Best Artists, full page feature (Kennedy Publishing, 2010)
- 2007 and 2009 – ABC-TV’s “Wife Swap” TV Series, featured set background paintings
Select Exhibits – Plein Air – Honors – Events:
- 2018 – Richeson75 International Art Competition for Small Works. Awarded two Meritorious entries that were included in show book.
- 2017 – Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Plein Air Exhibition, St. Simons, Georgia.
- 2017 -St. Augustine Plein Air paintout, Impressions of the Flagler Era, Honorable Mention. < See write-up in Outdoor Painter >
- 2017 – Flagler Beach paintout, 1st place
- 2016 – International Plein Air Paint-Out
- 2016 – Plein Air Flagler exhibit at the Flagler County Art League
- 2016 – Smithsonian Institution’s Water/Ways Plein Air Paintout, 1st place
- 2016 – Find Your park Plein Air, St. Augustine, FL, gave the paintout’s plein air workshop demo
- 2016 – Flagler Beach Paintout, 2nd place
- 2016 – Wekiva Island Paintout, Quick Draw Event
- 2015 – Oil Painters of America Plein Air Paintout & Exhibit, Galleria Del Mar, St. Augustine, FL
- 2014 – Current – The Art Studio, St. Augustine Beach various shows
- 2013 – 16 – Romanza on Aviles Paintout
- 2013 – 15 – GNG Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2012 – 17 – Tim’s Wine Market, St. Augustine, FL, Three Solo Exhibits
- 2012 – Blue Water Jewelers, St. Augustine, FL, Solo Exhibit
- 2011 – St. Johns County Chamber of Commerce, “The Art of Business”
- 2010 – Beaches Gallery Tour, Jacksonville Beach, FL
- 2010 – Schultz Center for Teaching & Leadership, Jacksonville, FL exhibit
- 2010 – Artistry at Belks
- 2009 – 13 – Fairfax Gallery Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra, FL
- 2009 – Jacksonville Symphony Guild Designer Showcase
- 2009 – The Art League of Daytona Beach, Daytona, FL, “Florida Seen” Five-person exhibit
- 2008 – 09 – Cousart Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – 14 – 130 King Fine Art Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – 08 – Holborn Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – Pen Women art exhibition, St. Augustine, FL
- 2006 – 2017 – First Street Gallery, Neptune Beach, FL
- 2006 – 2016 – Fairfax Gallery, Jacksonville, FL
- 2001 – current – St. Augustine Art Association, FL, various shows
“I look for wild places, energy, color, and light. I study beach rocks, seashells, and pond ripples. I can practically feel the vibrations emanating from the objects of nature, and I try to tap into their secret energy.”
- Oil Painters of America
- American Impressionist Society
- Plein Air Florida
- Anastasia Plein Air, Founding Member
- Flagler Plein Air
- St. Augustine Art Association
- The Beaches Art Studio, St. Augustine Beach
- Past president, St. Augustine Pen Women
- Thomas Edison State University, BA Humanities, Concentration in fine art and writing.
- Served 2 years on Thomas Edison’s portfolio advisory board.
Related Work Experience:
- Product Licensing illustration/design 1999-current
- Bluefish Bay Publishing, book illustrator 1999-2006
- McGraw-Hill Books & Gartner Group, director, managing editor/analyst 1990-2008
- RCA Corp. and GE Corp, publication illustrator/editor 1980-1990
- Freelance advertising illustrator 1985-1990