About Mary Hubley
I am a painter of the coast. I grew up part-time at the Jersey shore at my grandmother’s hotel just a block from the beach. Father was an avid deep sea fisherman, and I spent as much time scraping old paint off the bottom of his wooden boat as I did building sandcastles at the beach. Mother was a landscape painter who painted scenes of lighthouses, fishing boats, and beaches. I painted the coastal world with her.
Mary Hubley is an internationally recognized award-winning coastal artist. Her beach and marsh landscapes are dramatic yet soft, with rich colors and soft edges.
I live on a Florida island where there is a never-ending source of salt water inspiration for paintings. And my travels have taken me throughout North America, Asia, and Europe, where I’m incessantly drawn to painting other coastal locales.
Hubley spent many years doing corporate art and book illustration. She has won awards in international art competitions, most notably first place in the Smithsonian Institution’s WaterWays exhibit, an award of excellence in a 2018 National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society (NOAPS) exhibit, and an honor award in the 2018 Richeson75 Landscape show. Her work has appeared in two Richeson75 books, two “Best of America Artists” books, and “American Art Collector” magazine. She gives regular painting workshops and sells her work through prominent U.S. art galleries. –> See Mary’s Expanded Story
Watch a video of Mary discuss plein air painting in St. Augustine
“My art explores the whispers of the coastal salt air fused with a soft yet strong composition.
Every day, that means experiencing the soul of beach, birds, and people who surround me on my Florida island. Painting allows me to feel the world in depth. I’m still excited about the beach and marshes, and translating them into the canvas.
I paint every day, and it seems there’s just not enough time to paint all my ideas. I’m always experimenting from painting to painting, and I translate the world in different ways, depending on the moment. I constantly move between realistic and semi-abstract, which for me is the same thing; the only difference being how I feel about the subject on that day.”
Mary Hubley is proud to be represented by several fine galleries.
To see her work, please stop by.
Lagerquist Gallery . Atlanta
690 Miami Cir NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Camellia Art . Hilton Head
1 Office Way
Hilton Head, SC
Thornebrook Gallery . Gainesville, FL
2441-6D NW 43rd Street
Hubley Gallery . St. Augustine
804D Anastasia Blvd.
St. Augustine, Florida
- 2019 – Richeson75 International Art Competition for Small Works, Two Meritorious Awards.
- 2018 – National Oil and Acrylic Painters’ Society (NOAPS) Spring Online International, Award of Excellence winner, chosen from over 900 entries.
- 2018 – Richeson75 International Art Competition for Landscape, Seascape, and Architecture, Honor Award and two Meritorious Awards.
- 2018 – Richeson75 International Art Competition for Small Works, Two Meritorious awards.
- 2017 -St. Augustine Plein Air paintout, Impressions of the Flagler Era, Honorable Mention. < See write-up in Outdoor Painter Magazine.>
- 2017 – Flagler Beach plein air paintout, 1st place
- 2016 – Smithsonian Institution’s Water/Ways Plein Air Paintout, 1st place
- 2016 – Flagler Beach plein air paintout, 2nd place
Select Exhibits – Plein Air – Events:
- 2018 – Oil Painters of America 2018 14th Annual Great Paint Out, St. Augustine FL.
- 2018 – National Oil and Acrylic Painters’ Society (NOAPS) Spring Online International, Award of Excellence winner.
- 2018 – Richeson75 International Art Competition for Landscape, Seascape & Architecture, Richeson Gallery, Kimberly, WI.
- 2018 – Oil Painters of America National Paint Out & Exhibition, Steamboat Springs, CO
- 2018 – Oil Painters of America Summer Online Showcase and Fall Online showcase
- 2017-18 – St. Augustine Plein Air Paintout
- 2017 – Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Plein Air Exhibition, St. Simons, Georgia
- 2016-17 – Flagler Beach Plein Air Paint-Out
- 2016 – Smithsonian Institution Water/Ways Paint Out
- 2016 – International Plein Air Paint-Out
- 2016 – Plein Air Flagler exhibit at the Flagler County Art League
- 2016 – National Parks Find Your Park Plein Air, St. Augustine, FL, gave the paintout’s plein air workshop demo
- 2016 – Wekiva Island Paintout, Quick Draw Event
- 2015 – Oil Painters of America Plein Air Paintout & Exhibit, Galleria Del Mar, St. Augustine, FL
- 2014 – Current – The Art Studio, St. Augustine Beach various shows
- 2013 – 16 – Romanza on Aviles Paintout
- 2013 – 15 – GNG Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2012 – 17 – Tim’s Wine Market, St. Augustine, FL, Three Solo Exhibits
- 2012 – Blue Water Jewelers, St. Augustine, FL, Solo Exhibit
- 2011 – St. Johns County Chamber of Commerce, “The Art of Business” Exhibit
- 2010 – Beaches Gallery Tour, Jacksonville Beach, FL
- 2010 – Schultz Center for Teaching & Leadership, Jacksonville, FL Exhibit
- 2010 – Artistry at Belks Exhibit
- 2009 – Jacksonville Symphony Guild Designer Showcase
- 2009 – The Art League of Daytona Beach, Daytona, FL, “Florida Seen” Five-person exhibit
- 2008 – 09 – Cousart Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – 14 – 130 King Fine Art Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – 08 – Holborn Gallery, St. Augustine, FL
- 2007 – Pen Women art exhibit, St. Augustine, FL
- 2006 – 2017 – First Street Gallery, Neptune Beach, FL
- 2006 – 2016 – Fairfax Gallery, Ponte Vedra and Jacksonville, FL
- 2001 -2018 – St. Augustine Art Association, FL, various shows
- 2018 – American Art Collector Magazine, showcased as a NOAPS award of excellence winner.
- 2018 – The Richeson75 International Landscape, Seascape, & Architecture fine art book, 3 paintings, one of which won the honor award.
- 2018 – St. Augustine Plein Air – St. Johns Cultural Council video interview and article.
- 2018 – The Richeson75 International Small Works fine art book.
- 2017 – St. Augustine Tonight Show TV Interview (to see mary’s interview, click and go to minute 34:41 on link).
- 2016 – Compass Magazine, 2-page interview, “Artist Left Corporate America to Live in the Sun“
- 2016 – St. Augustine Record, Cover feature, “Artists Document National Parks’ Beauty on Canvas”
- 2015 – Cycle Here Media, Video promo, “Historic Coast Culture: Visual Arts” showing a snippet of Mary Hubley’s art class painting in the studio and plein air at the beach.
- 2015 – Cycle Here Media, Video promo, “Historic Coast Culture: Neighborhoods” showing a snippet of Mary doing a demo in front of a class.
- 2015 – Compass Magazine, “Get Creative with artist Mary Hubley”
- 2015 – St. Augustine Record, showcased art “Life in St Augustine”
- 2012 – Arbus magazine, Showcased art
- 2012 – Best of America Oil Artists, full page feature (Kennedy Publishing, 2012)
- 2011 – The Art of Business, Featured artist
- 2011 – International Dictionary of Artists, Featured Artist (World Wide Art Books)
- 2010 – Best of the Best Artists, full page feature (Kennedy Publishing, 2010)
- 2007 and 2009 – ABC-TV’s “Wife Swap” TV Series, featured set background paintings
“I look for wild places, energy, color, and light. I study beach rocks, seashells, and pond ripples. I can practically feel the vibrations emanating from the objects of nature, and I try to tap into their secret energy.”
- Oil Painters of America
- American Impressionist Society
- National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society
- Plein Air Florida
- Anastasia Plein Air, Founding Member
- Flagler Plein Air
- St. Augustine Art Association
- The Art Studio, St. Augustine Beach
- Past president, St. Augustine Pen Women
- Thomas Edison State University, BA Humanities, Major in fine art and writing.
- Served 2 years on Thomas Edison’s portfolio advisory board.
Related Work Experience:
- Product Licensing illustration/design 1999-current
- Bluefish Bay Publishing, book illustrator 1999-2006
- McGraw-Hill Books & Gartner Group, director, managing editor/analyst 1990-2008
- RCA Corp. and GE Corp, publication illustrator/editor 1980-1990
- Freelance advertising illustrator 1985-1990