2019 Painting Workshops
My workshops help artists hone their skills and loosen up. We talk about ways to create stronger composition, using tone and color, and to work quickly without getting stuck. I work mostly with oils, but also invite acrylic painters to join me.
Mary is honored to be named a Gamblin Dedicated Workshop Instructor by Gamblin Artists Colors, Inc.
I’ve been giving regular painting classes for over five years. This season will be concentrating on one-day workshops. We laugh a lot, learn, and have fun painting in the studio. All levels are invited. We work in oil and acrylic painting skills and technique. New students will learn the basics, from setting up the palette and mixing colors to creating their first paintings; while advanced students further develop their technical skills. Each week we’ll include instruction and a demonstration followed by painting with frequent one-on-one instruction and gentle critique.
St. Augustine: December St. Augustine Workshop at Hubley Gallery:
- Nov/Dec 2018: Nov 27, Dec 4, 11. 9:00 to 12:00 –Composition Boot Camp FILLED
St. Augustine: One-Day Workshops at The Art Studio:
- Simplifying the Landscape. Thursday January 24, 9am – 4pm. We’ll discuss techniques for creating more powerful images by painting with economy. We’ll discuss form, value, color and how to simplify the landscape for a more powerful painting, and walk away with a finished painting at the end of the day.
- Color in the Landscape. Thursday February 21, 9am – 4pm. Learn how to use color strategically in your paintings and develop your personal color sense. Explore temperature, value, saturation, and contrast to create a colorful painting that works, and walk away with a finished painting at the end of the day.
- Painting Flowers. Thursday March 28, 9am – 4pm. Working with fresh flowers, we’ll paint colorful still life arrangements. We’ll discuss light, color, gesture of the bloom, and composition, and walk away with a finished painting at the end of the day.
- St. Augustine Workshop details:
- When: 1-day workshops in January 24, February 21, March 28 2019.
- Where: The Art Studio, 370 A1A Beach Blvd A, St Augustine Beach, FL 32080. (next to the St. Augustine Beach pier across from the children’s water park.)
- Fee: $99 for each one-day workshop.
- Registration: Please download & print St. Augustine registration. If you have problems downloading, please e-mail email@example.com or call 904-347-5086.
- Supplies: Students are responsible for bringing their own supplies and materials. See my recommended supplies at supplies-painting.
March 16, 2019: Saturday Light & Shadow Painting Workshop in Orange Park, FL
A full day studio workshop. Instruction on how light and shadow works, with emphasis on value, color, and design. Includes class discussion, examples, exercises, and lots of painting time.
- When: March 16, 2019, 9:30 to 4:00
- Where: Art Guild of Orange Park. workshop is being held at the Sacred Heart Church – 207 Palmetto Ave., Green Cove Springs FL, 32043
- Fee: AGOP Members $75 Non-members $95
- Registration: Register with artguildoforangepark.org/workshops/
“I learned that it’s worth the time to get [composition and value] right before you get into your love affair with color (hence, the need for notan!). I learned, from watching you paint, more than anything, that if you get the bones right, you can trust the fresh intuitive brushwork later. (You do this so well, and it is inspiring.) The greatest strength of the workshop is the atmosphere you create: positive, encouraging, and fun. Your demos were super inspiring, as well.” — Jamie Farnsworth
“I love Mary’s uncomplicated instruction. She teaches that you save a lot of time by doing small value sketches first and that value is most important. She’s also a lot of fun to be around.” — Barbara Gentry
“Mary provided me the opportunity to experience plein air painting for the first time!! Her encouraging environment of wonderful instruction was positive and non-threatening…and, most of all, enthusiastic and FUN!!!” — Ginger Masingill
“Encouraging knowledgeable kind instruction – I have learned so much about painting and myself. I have learned when to stop!” — Clare Howard
“Mary gets an A+. She is terrific and I am learning so much!” — Debi Russillo
“Mary is a fantastic teacher! She is encouraging, positive, and has a wonderful sense of humor. She is a fabulous artist and she knows how to impart her knowledge and skill to us students. I plan to take more classes from her and am thankful to have her as my teacher!” — Ellen Gugisberg
“Now I know why people draw and paint. Its not about being good, its about being in that Right Brain and having no other outside thoughts beside the drawing or painting you are working on. After yesterdays drawing class, I realized that during the drawing, nothing in my life existed, no worries, no to-do list, no people. It was incredible. You should all consider trying it, not to be great artists, of course that is an option, but just for the pure pleasure of being in that space. Shutting off your brain and mouth and just being creative. Wow, what a joy. And the peace is so nice.”
— Sheree Silver